This week, I had the pleasure of speaking with Dr. Leonid Perlovskly. Dr. Perlovsky is a Visiting Scholar at Harvard’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and is a Principal Research Physicist and Technical Advisor at The Air Force Research Laboratory at Hanscom AFB.
Our topic was Music and Consciousness, but I’d say it ended up being more about Music, PHYSICS, and Consciousness, covering a wide range of topics from Beauty and the Pursuit fo Knowledge, to the fundamental laws of consciousness to unrequited love. It was a great conversation.
In this episode, we discussed:
- How music aided the evolution of human consciousness
- How music helped synthesize the conscious and unconscious mind
- How music can help one further explore his/her own consciousness
- Understanding of own knowledge…that is what consciousness is
- The goal of science is to explain the mechanism of the brain in order to explain consciousness
- Quantum, schmantum
- The Unity of Knowledge
- Beauty, our Instinct for Knowledge, Meaning, ,and our purpose in life and how music aids this
- Music (and Comedy?) facilitates acquiring of knowledge by helping humans overcome cognitive dissonance. The Fox and the Grapes.
- “Perlovsky’s” Fundamental Laws of the Mind
- Can we describe and measure the Mind with mathematical models in a lab?
Get Dr. Perlovsky’s book, Music, Passion and Cognitive Function on Amazon.