This week, I had the pleasure of speaking with Theoretical Quantum Physicist, and Quantum Activist, Dr. Amit Goswami. Dr. Goswami is a retired full professor from the University of Oregon’s Department of Physics where he served from 1968 to 1997. He is a pioneer of the new paradigm of science called “science within consciousness,” an idea he developed in his seminal book, The SelfAware Universe. Dr. Goswami has written many other popular books based on his research on quantum physics and consciousness, including ,his latest book, The Everything Answer Book, in which his basic premise is that quantum physics is the key to understanding consciousness, life, death, God, psychology, and the meaning of life. In short, quantum physics is indeed the theory of everything.
It was an insightful discussion, so please enjoy my conversation with Dr. Amit Goswami.
Get his latest book on Amazon:
- First of all, please give us a little background on your studies and theories, especially as it relates to consciousness.
- I like to ask this of my guests: how do you define consciousness?
- You describe a ‘quantum consciousness’. Are you describing a causal relationship, an underlying physical explanation, of consciousness?
- Can consciousness be measured? Are there strange, quantum effects from conducting these measurements?
- You mention the need to integrate science and spirituality. How do you integrate those two, and how does quantum physics come in there?
- In your view, consciousness exists outside of the brain. Can you expand on that a bit?
- You mention scientific evidence of the survival of consciousness after death. Can you provide some examples?
- What is the notion you mention of ‘evolution of the mind’?
- Is that something we can play an active part in, individually? Can we change/modify/exercise/expand our own consciousness?
- You include the ‘meaning of life’ in your book. How is the meaning of life tied to consciousness, or is it?
- You mention that ‘Materialism is like an epidemic disease that has to be healed. And quantum science can be part of the healing.’ How can quantum science, quantum physics, be part of that healing? How does that work, exactly?
- Given the quantum nature of consciousness, where do you stand on panpsychism? Do you think all living things are conscious? How about a rock?
- What about Cosmic Consciousness, the idea that there’s a larger, ubiquitous consciousness that can be tapped into?
- Please tell us how creativity plays a role in what you describe as a ‘discontinuous creative insight’. It sounds as if you’re talking about freeing consciousness from the constructs of the mind/ego?
- As quantum theory expands to include ‘field theory’ as opposed to particle theory, how does that play into your ideas of quantum physics and consciousness?
- I know that this conversation has been focused, obviously, on Consciousness. Before we leave, I’d like to give you an opportunity to discuss any other topic. I know your book covers, well, literally, ‘Everything.’ Is there anything else you’d like to bring up? Quantum activism? Anything?