This week, I had the pleasure of speaking with Dr. Dean Radin, Chief Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS), and our conversation, I’d say, surrounded the topic of scientific study of the foundation of psi phenomena and consciousness. Dr. Radin earned an MS in electrical engineering and a PhD in psychology from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. Before joining the research staff at Noetic Sciences in 2001, he held appointments at AT&T Bell Labs, Princeton University, University of Edinburgh, and SRI International. He is author or coauthor of over 250 technical and popular articles, three dozen book chapters, and three books including the best-selling The Conscious Universe, Entangled Minds, and the 2014 Silver Nautilus Book Award winner, SUPERNORMAL. His latest book, Real Magic, is available now at booksellers everywhere.
We had a fascinating discussion, so please enjoy my conversation with Dr. Dean Radin.
Get Dr. Radin’s lastest book today!
- How do you define consciousness?
- Some of your work centers around the concept that ‘we are all part of an interconnected whole’ — like the double-slit experiment, random number generator, and the ‘being stared at’ study — [we’ll discuss some of these in more detail]. Can you tell us what that means, “interconnected whole”? Is it the interconnection of consciousnesses? Is there a larger consciousness that we all tap into?
- You’re probably sick of having to do this, but…could you give a relatively simple explanation of your double-slit experiment and the implications the results have in understanding consciousness?
- So, what do you think it as play here? What do you think is happening?
- In your experiment’s results, why the distinction between those who meditate and those who don’t? What made you even want to observe that difference?
- You also did a meta study on the ‘sense of being stared at’, right? What did you find there, regarding consciousness?
- What other psi research have you done, especially as it relates to consciousness?
- You seem to get a lot of criticism for your work. What do you think is behind all of that skepticism?
- What draws the most criticism?
- In your synchronicity story (PSI Quest Labs), you mention ‘consciousness that’s emerging into the world at large’. Can you expand on that concept (emergence of consciousness outside the mind/body)? How would that work?
- What other psi phenomena have you studied, and how does consciousness tie into those?
- Please tell us a little bit about the Institute of Noetic Sciences and what you guys are focused on these days.
- Other than what we’ve covered here, is there anything else you’d like to share with us? You have a new book being released in April, Real Magic. What do you cover in that book?